Yoga is a 2500 years old discipline first practiced in India. Yoga asanas (postures) place the body in unique positions such as standing, sitting, twisting, inverting, forward bending, and backward bending to bring about positive effects on the body and the mind. Yoga is the only form of exerceise that massages all organs and glands of the body in a thorough manner including those that hardly get externally stimulated during one's entire lifetime. Yoga compliments and improves everything elso one does in life thus making it the most holistic form of exercise available.
What is Iyengar Yoga?
Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar is the founder of Iyengar Yoga. He is considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world and has been practising and teaching yoga for more than 75 years. He has made classical yoga approachable for the west. At 90 years of age he continous practising, researching and exploring the subject of yoga. Students from all over the world travel to his center in Puna, India and get advise and inspiration from this living master. Iyengar Yoga centres are located throughout the world and millions of students practise Iyengar Yoga.
In Iyengar Yoga emphasis is placed on precision and alignment in all the asanas(postures). It is exactly this that allows the whole body - the muscles, organs, breath and mind to function at its best. Iyengar Yoga is not just stretching or physical exersice like running etc. It works the body physiologically and psychologically. Classical poses are done with props such as belts, bricks, chairs, blankets etc. if needed. The purpose of props is to help open the body, increase flexibility and stamina. At the same time the body can rejuvenate and relax sick and tired muscles.
The advantages of practising Iyengar Yoga
- Iyengar Yoga has a systematic approach and can be practised by anybody
- Guidance by a qualified teacher
- Balanced approach to the art of yoga
- Increase flexibility and at the same time tone, firm and strenghten muscles
- Balances function of organs and glands - important for good health
- Helps with back, neck and other health problems
- Improves concentration and at the same time reduces stress and teaches the art of relaxation
- Creates a feeling of confidence and improves self esteem
- Complements and enhances other physical activities and sports
For more information go to www.bksiyengar.com